Learning Assisted Schools (LAS) presents one of the most wonderful challenges that we grasp.
Science Boffins have had the privilege of being selected by charities, schools and individuals to entertain their children at Learning Assisted Schools.
Our presenters display versatility to adapt traditional presentations to the requirements of their audience. We are sensitive to the unique disposition of each child and we work with them and their helpers to extract the very best aspects of the experiments so as to engage the kids as much as possible.
Where concentration is difficult (ADHD) we will select to work in small modules in order to provide frequent positive reinforcement. For children with physical needs or impairments we will move at their pace and try to select appropriate activities in which they can participate wholly or partially. The feedback that we have from carers of those in the Autistic spectrum has also been uplifting and we blush at the many compliments that we have received.
Above all we try to make the time spent together exciting for all concerned. We are always rewarded by the happiness on the faces of our new found friends when the time comes to say goodbye.
"Our complex classes of young people with autism and learning difficulties were very animated and excited, and remained focused for the whole time. One was memorably mesmerised - both trying to gesture and anticipate the popping noises, really engrossed, and we now feel that he needs to visit science lessons with far more able students as a result.
Our more able classes really enjoyed the experiments and related these to previous learning about solids, liquids and gases. They also understood how to get rid of oxygen by lighting a candle. The session was very appropriate and extended lessons that they had experienced in class"
RNIB Three Spires Academy
"Hi, My name is Sallie and today my son went to 6 year old Sam's birthday party in Shawbirch, Telford. My son is autistic and also has ADHD, so we dread birthday parties, they can often result in meltdowns because Harvey gets anxious and overwhelmed. Today was completely different. Your science boffin (Ian) was absolutely brilliant. Harvey really took a shine to him, he was completely amazed and hooked by everything Ian did. Ian was patient when Harvey asked him questions, helped him when he needed help and Harvey even stood in front of everyone and was used as a volunteer. For any other child that wouldn't be a big deal, but for Harvey it was amazing. He has never stood in front of people like that before, he doesn't like to be looked at we were so proud. He also managed to get his stick through the balloon without popping it before anyone else, again not a big deal for most children but a great achievement for Harvey. We would be so grateful if you could pass on our thanks to Ian for being so wonderful and patient with Harvey. Because of him and how at ease he put Harvey, we were able to relax as parents as well. Thank you for making a normally stressful day, so easy for Harvey and ourselves. I would definitely recommend science boffins and especially Ian to anyone. Thank you so much."
We have been privileged to work with many schools and organisations, including:
- Penn Hall School, Wolverhampton,
- Linden Bridge School, Worcester Park
- Castle Business and Enterprise College, Walsall
- Heathfield School, Fareham
- Spring Common School, Huntingdon
- The Family Centre For Deaf Children, Bristol
- Meadowfield School, Sittingbourne
- The Chelsea Group Of Children, London
- Niton Primary School, Ventnor, Isle of White
- The Pace Centre, Cuddington
- Oldbury Academy, Oldbury
- Action for Children, High Wycombe
- James Wolfe Primary School, London
- Kennedy Leigh Family Centre (Norwood), Barnet
- NAS Dundee and Angus, Dundee
- Portland Academy, Sunderland
- Elmsleigh Infant and Nursery School, Swadlincote
- Belmont Primary School, Erith
- Piper Hill High School, Wythenshawe
- MENCAP, Watford
- Spring Brook Lower School, Oldham
- Oaklands School, Winsford
- Church Lawton, Stoke-on-Trent
- Addington School, Woodley
- Oldfield Park Infant School, Bath
- NAS Hull, Hull
- Rimrose Hope C E Primary School, Liverpool
- Coram House, Ackworth School, Pontefract
- Brooklands School, Reigate
- Carlibar Primary School, Glasgow
- Niton Primary School, Ventnor
- Rowans Family Centre Moorfoot, Milton Keynes
- Kent Friendz, Sevenoaks
- Kingsdown School Holiday Club, Southend-on-Sea
- St Marks C of E Junior School, Cheltenham
- Walsham le Willows CEVC School, Bury St Edmunds
- Robson House Primary School, London
- Brookfields Specialist SEN School, Reading
- Caldecott Foundation School, Kent
- College Park School, London
- The Grange School, Manchester
Contact us today for more information on the special activities we provide at LAS parties.